This variation of Dolly Parton's Sugar Cookie recipe is de-lish. The lemon filling complements the zest in the cookie dough for a bright and flavorful cookie.
What is it about lemon in desserts? Lord oh lord. It's divine.
You should try these. Really.
Lemon Sandwich Cookies
Yield: 5-6 dozen sandwich cookies
Cookies (Dolly Parton's Sugar Cookie recipe)
- 3 cups sifted flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups unsalted butter, softened (yep, that's four cubes.)
- 2 egg yolks
- The zest of one medium lemon (about 1 1/2 teaspoons)
Lemon Cream Filling
Adapted from TLC Cooking's Mini Lemon Sandwich recipe
- 3/4 cup powdered (or confectioner's) sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 3 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- A few drops yellow food coloring
- Cream sugar and butter together in a large bowl until well incorporated.
- Add egg yolks and lemon zest, and beat until mixed well.
- Sift the flour over the wet ingredients, then mix together until just combined.
- Knead together very gently until it forms a ball, or pile the crumbs on a piece of Saran Wrap and pull that around the sides so you can mush the dough together into a ball. The objective is the handle the dough as little as possible once it's well incorporated.
- Chill dough for three hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Roll dough to about 1/8 - 1/4 inch thick, and cut into round shapes.
- Place onto a cookie sheet (no need to grease) and bake for about 8 minutes, just until the cookies start to turn a tinge of beige.
- Let cool on the cookie sheet slightly, then move to a wire rack.
- Let cool completely.
- Make the filling: Beat together the powdered sugar, lemon juice, vanilla, and food coloring.
- Place about 1/2 teaspoon of filling on one cookie, and top with another. And please forgive the blurry photo. The camera was dizzy with anticipation, I think.
- That's it! Now go forth and enjoy (and share) lemony goodness!